Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Wat Rong Khun, Chiang Rai

Wat Rong Khun is located just outside of Chiang Rai where I live. It’s truly one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Yesterday was my third trip there and I’m pretty sure I’ll return again from time to time. 40 of my favorite photographs from Wat Rong Khun can be seen at: http://picasaweb.google.com/113290260645426358459/WatRongKhun#   I'm just curious, which one is your favorite?

I have no intention of plagiarizing all the information that’s easily available. I will give you a very brief summary of what I’ve learned thus far. The temple is in its 13th year of construction and may take another 90 to complete. The artist used white to represent the Buddha’s purity. The place literally glitters with tiny mirrors which symbolizes Buddhist teachings.

Wat Rong Khun

Photography is prohibited inside the temple so you will have to take my word for this. There is an amazing mural that encompasses the whole of the room. At the back is a demon which transcends to angelic enlightenment in the front. The eyes of the demon contain two faces. The left eye contains Bin Laden and the right eye contains George W. Bush! There are many little scenes depicting human evil and suffering including the twin towers.

To the left of the main temple is an ornate golden colored building, known as the golden toilet. I have read that all of the art at Wat Rong Khun is filled with Buddhist riddles; the buildings, the decorations, the murals, everything.
Golden Toilet building at Wat Rong Khun

If you want to know more just do a google search for “Wat Rong Khun”. You can also do a google search for "Ajarn Chalermchai Kositpipat", the artist who is responsible for the project. Better yet, put Chiang Rai on your list of places to visit during your next vacation!  

My fellow tourists at Wat Rong Khun

No comments:

Post a Comment