Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Back to Vientiane

Temple Lines
Window Monk


A Backpacker's Bike

First let me say that I know I haven’t added the photo’s or cleaned up the blog entries from my last trip to Laos; nor have I forgotten.  The three above are quick shots all taken within a few yards of each other. 

This time I took a van from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai, crossed into Laos and returned by the same route.  I happened to be with a company called aYa Services Co. Ltd.  If you decide to go with them you might want to take a neck pillow and a light jacket or blanket.  Overnight in a van can be a bit chilly.   Also, gentle reader if you happen to have occasion to change your return date, for any reason, when you call the Chiang Mai office get the name of the person you spoke with and then call the Nong Khai office yourself!   

A couple of other tidbits that might be helpful include:  Before you go to another country for a visa, contact that embassy or consulate and make sure you have all the paperwork needed.  This could save untold grief!   While you are at it, check and make sure that they will actually be open when you plan to visit.   Did you know that international Woman’s day is celebrated in Laos as a national holiday and that the Thai consulate will be closed on that day?   I didn’t.
  
There just seemed to be a whole lot of very cute kids on this trip.   I was going to put a lot of photo’s here but instead we now have:

Vientiane Children
One thing I noticed this time was a definite Vietnamese Influence in the streets of Vientiane.  Not surprising really, just interesting.

Street Cart

Wind Chimes

By the river there is a childrens playground.  This is pretty new, it wasn't completed when we were in Vientiane a couple of months ago.  

Playground by the Mekong
In Vientiane there are several crafts stores where you can buy all sorts of nice things, included hand woven material. 

At the Loom
I found the most interesting silver ingot in the Market.   I have no idea exactly how old it is, if it’s valuable, or if it’s real silver, but it is interesting.  If you know anything about this stuff, please contact me. 

Valuable or Just Interesting? 





1 comment:

  1. Nice photos, Jerry. Thanks. I'm always plotting my trip to Lao, but it hasn't happened yet.

    Regards.
    Marvin

    ReplyDelete