Sunday, January 29, 2012

Part 3, Photographic Highlights of Siem Reap & The Temples of Angkor

Gentle reader, 

I’m limiting this article to just a few photographs.  These chosen from over 500, may not be the same ones I would choose the next time I look at the group.  The truth is this:  The area is a photographer’s paradise.  I posted just under 200 at http://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad200/jnelson1944/Seam_Reap_201201/  Enjoy! 

During my time in Seam Reap I stayed at the Tan Kang Angkor Hotel, and am happy to recommend them.  Their website is http://www.tankangangkorhotel.com 

Like most other tourists, I headed for the ancient temples of Ankor.  The first stop was at Ta Prohm.  It’s fascinating because it’s been left in pretty much the same condition in which it was found many years ago.  Current noterity includes the fact that Ta Prohm was used to film scenes from Lara Croft, Tomb Raider starring Angelia Jolie.
Hey Movie Lover!  Does this look familiar? 
I went through some of Angkor Thom realizing that I would want to come back at a better time to do some serious photography.  Too much direct sunlight for my taste, and way too many tourists to allow for a pleasant and leisurely visit.  Still I’m delighted to have made this adventure.


My driver took me to Angkor Wat for sunrise.  Next time I’ll have a better idea for photographing this most famous of all temples.  This day provided a delightful self guided tour.  I met a delightful young lady from China and we spent two or more hours photographing together. Her nick name is 11 (Turns out this is because she has a friend whose nick name is 7).  I sort of got the humor and immediately chose 44 as my nickname for the day.  Next time I come back to Cambodia I’ll allocate an entire day to Angkor Wat.
Number Seven ! 
The Banyon is also a place where I would like to spend a whole day.  This is a marvelous complex of some 37 towers each with faces carved upon them.  Most have 4, but some have two or three.  As the light changes this place is truly a photographers dream.


Banteay Srei is another of my favorites. Just as we arrived there was a commotion of sorts.  A man with an small parade following him was chanting loud enough to be heard for some distance.  Mr. Va, my driver, explained that the man was removing some unwanted spirit that was occupying his body.  The spirit would leave him once her arrived at the center of the temple at Banteay Srie.   This is another temple where it would be well worth the time to spend the whole day.
Ghost be gone! 


It’s not just about temples.  Mr. Va recommended we spend a sunset on the water at Kompong Khleang.  The boat was expensive, $40.00 USD.  Had I known and had I wanted to trouble my self I could have recruited another 3 tourists and we would have all gone for $10 a head.  However, this was delightful because for the evening and the sunset there were no other crowds.  A few boats in the water, but on my boat there were just three including Mr Va myself and the boar driver.


In Seam Reap there are photo opportunities, but I spent most of the day light hours outside of town.  The night market provided one nice shot and I thought it a fitting end to this little 3 part story.


Abundant Blessings, 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment