Sunday, August 01, 2010

Just around Chiang Mai

This posting isn't as serious as some; rather, it's more about the details one could miss if not paying attention.  I do hope you enjoy it.  But first, figure the odds of hanging out with one camera and no extra equipment, and having a pregnant lady come up and ask if you would be willing to do a maternity shoot! I’d never seen the woman before and she certainly had no idea that maternity portraits were my absolute favorite before I came to Thailand. She has chosen to remain anonymous for her own reasons, but I can tell you the shoot took place about two weeks ago somewhere in Thailand.

Beautiful Belly
Ambient LightThe last time I was out at night I was approached by a group of college students. They were taking surveys. The lead question was Did you have culture shock when you arrived in Thailand? My answer was too complicated for them, so I never got the rest of the questions, but I have to say that things here are different. Not necessarily better than where you are, not necessarily worse, but definitely different. Let’s look at a couple of simple examples:

    a.  Toilets. Most westerners have no idea what the little hose is for and most Asians are appaled that we have excluded this critical part of hygiene. (No photo’s, but if you request I’ll do a whole article on the potty, but only if you ask) ๕๕๕ (LOL).

    b.  Sidewalks. Silly Farang that I was, I assumed these were for walking upon. That’s one of their many purposes. They are great places to set up street stands! And of course, everyone knows that it’s much better to park your motorcycle on the sidewalk than in the street.

Typical Sidewalk Scene  c. Motorcycles: Today I was out with my camera. The shot isn’t going to win any prizes but it’s in focus and you can see for yourself. Heck I’ve seen several small dogs in the basket on the handle bars, but this, well this is a first for me.


Got a ride home!

  d. Children: The other morning I was having breakfast and at the table next to me I heard a loud klunk. I glanced over and here’s this adorable little boy with his personal collection of elephants. I asked his parents if I could share the picture with you. They were happy to oblige. There was no fear that I wanted to abduct or abuse their child. They sensed that I really enjoyed the joy! 
Kimkee and his three elephants.
   e. Death, the recently departed and all that business: The Thai culture is much more accepting of the inevitable than we are in the West. An American funeral home (why do they call it a home anyway)? Is just about as morose as humanly possible. In Chiang Mai Thailand we have a casket store and next door to that is place you buy funeral flowers. (The arrangements seem to be artificial and didn’t make a great photo). I got a real kick out of the sign in the window. I will tell you I took this a week ago and since they have taken it down. Still, to me it’s hilarious.
Yes, isn't this comforting? 

The sign above was on the door to the casket store.

To be a bit serious as I close this:  Elephants are revered in Thailand, but they are also abused.
A wall at Wat Prasing in Chiang Mai
Tail Light as required by law!

Look for a series of articles on the elephants in Thailand. Street Elephants, Walk to Freedom, and The rescue of Physee will all be coming soon.

Abundant Blessings,
 
Jerry

2 comments:

  1. Jerry,
    Truly enjoy your blogs! Will be in Chiang Mai from Aug 15 to Sept 1. ENP from Aug 23-29. You can follow me at:

    blogs.bootsnall.com/ellygirl/

    Toni

    ReplyDelete