Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Burmese Refugee's

Often I get totally wrapped up in my daily life, which is wonderful, albeit not without its frustrations especially when I’m looking at the plight of the Asian Elephant.  Every once in a while something else comes along that is well worth reporting.  Today is one of those days.

Some time ago I met a couple from Europe who did some volunteer work with Burmese refugees.  I was impressed and commented that I wanted to go with them and photograph the situation.  One thing happened and then another and I still haven’t made it happen. 

This morning a friend sent me a link to an outfit that might do a lot to remove the bile taste many of us get when hearing the word ‘circus’  It’s a group of volunteers who spend their time, money and energy entertaining Burmese refugee children in the Mae Sot area.  Check them out at www.sparkcircus.com The video is great!

Did you know there are more than 20,000 refugees in the Mae Sot area?  Given their reluctance to be identified for fear of being deported the number may be low.  May be?  Water may be wet and birds might fly.  That kind of may be, if you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment