Thursday, January 06, 2011

A Visit to Care for Dogs, Chiang Mai



Just the other day, things are so busy it feels like longer, I had the privilege of visiting Care for Dogs in Chiang Mai.   This is an NGO that really does good work.  You can check them out at www.carefordogs.org  and on their Face Book page at  http://www.facebook.com/street.dog.rescue

Nola Kensley was my able tour guide. 

Nola and a few of her friends.
She was careful to point out the two or three dogs who would trick bag you.  Come pet me they would say, and when you do they tend to nip, or bite if you like more vicious adjectives.  One is a little guy with an under bite that so reminded me of my late brother’s little dog.  In the photo below you may notice “Under bite” on the left.  He tends to hang out with dog bigger than him.  
Under Bite, Dog in Charge
I also had the pleasure of meeting co-founder Amadine Lecesne.   I love the dedicated ones, and she is certainly on that list!   You can learn more at www.carefordogs.org

There are something to the tune of a hundred dogs at Care for Dogs on any given day.  Some of them are there just for care, including neutering and spading, and will be returned to their owners.   Many come from nearby temples; most of those will return to their temple after treatment.
When dogs arrive they are put in a quarantine until they have been examined and their status can be determined.   After that they are placed in an appropriate area.   I saw a small area where the dogs with ring worm are kept, another area where dogs were brought from a distance for treatment and are being returned a few at a time.  Most of the dogs are in what I call “general population”.  O.K. it’s a prison term, but it’s appropriate.
Lunch in "Gen Pop"
Sadly, many of the doges are there because they were abused and then abandoned.   I’m amazed that out of a hundred or so, I was warned that two or three might bite.  The rest are trusting and loving.  I wonder what human could endure what these little creatures have and still be loving and trusting.   Each and every dog has a story.  Most of the stories are unknown to me but I will share with you two brief versions of two stories.    First here is a photo of a sweet little dog that was in the quarantine area.  I really don’t know the story, but the expression just got to me.
Love Me!
Then there are two in the same cage.  I call them Shep and Peg Leg.   Both need a better name and both have horrific stories.  Both are as sweet as can be and were grateful for a few minutes of love.    Shep was reported purposefully thrown from a moving motorcycle by it’s driver.  His shoulder was  banged up  by the impact with the ground.  Someone saw the incident and called Care for Dogs.  People went and rescued him from the street.  He’ll make a great pet for someone soon.
Peg Leg, Shep and me
Photo by Nola Kensley
Peg Leg has an unbelievable story, problem is it's true! This dog was neglected until a cancer in his leg advanced to the point that bare bone now protrudes.  A secondary infection has caused massive swelling.   How much can one little dog take?   He is still friendly and just wants to be loved!   How this dog ended up at Care for Dogs is one of those mysterious stories that goes around South East Asia.  God Bless who ever was responsible for his deliverance.   The treatment will be two part.  First he’s on medicine to reduce the inflamation and after that he will have to undergo a very serious surgery.
Happy little lap dog, Peg Leg!
Peg Leg with Nola and Shep
I fully intend to visit Care for Dogs again.  This is a humane organization that is well worth my support, and yours!  Dogs deserve to be loved.  After all we claim to "own" them.  I can imagine Peg Leg's previous owner was proud to own a pure bread Shiatsu; it's a status thing you know.  

Abundant Blessings,   

1 comment:

  1. Oh my lord, that poor little peg-legged boy!!! Bless him for his strength and obvious ability to forgive and trust again.
    As always, thank you for sharing this story. Care for Dogs sounds like a wonderful place. Perhaps they could use some donated flea meds if I can rustle them up? If so, let me know and get me an address. I'm happy to help.
    Warmly,
    Toni

    ReplyDelete